Calcium Propionate Use Standard
Some people will doubt that how much should calcium propionate use as the food additive? Different area have different food safe standard, just refer the below:
China Calcium Propionate Uses Standard
(1) China’s “Sanitary Standards for the Use of Food Additives” (GB 2760-2011) stipulates that calcium propionate can be used for bean products, raw grains, raw wet noodle products (such as noodles, dumpling skin, wonton skin, roasted wheat skin), bread, pastry, Vinegar, soy sauce and others (for the processing technology of canned bayberry), in which the maximum usage of bean products, bread, pastries, vinegar and soy sauce is 2.5g/kg, the maximum calcium propionate usage of raw grain is 1.8g/kg, raw noodle products (such as noodles) , Dumpling skin, wonton skin, roasted wheat skin) The maximum calcium propionate consumption is 0.25g/kg, and the other (for canned bayberry processing technology) maximum calcium propionate as consumption is 50.0g/kg. (Note: The above maximum usage is based on propionic acid)
Taiwan Province Calcium Propionate Uses
(2) Regulations of Taiwan Province of my country (1986): Calcium propionate Can be used for bread and steamed snacks, the maximum dosage is 2.5g/kg (calculated as propionic acid).
Japanese Calcium Propionate Uses
(3) Japanese regulations (1985): for cheese, the maximum calcium propionate dosage is 3g/kg (calculated as propionic acid); for bread and Western-style pastries, the maximum dosage is 2.5g/kg (calculated as propionic acid). If calcium propionate is used in combination with sorbic acid and potassium sorbate in the cheese, or when it is used in combination with one of the preparations, the amount used is less than 3g/kg according to the total amount of propionic acid and sorbic acid juice.
(4) German regulations: the thin brown bread slices, the calcium propionate added per kilogram of flour is 0.3~0.6g.
British And American Calcium Propionate Uses
(5) British and American regulations: Due to the short storage time requirements for bread, the amount of calcium propionate added is relatively small, from 0.15% to 0.3%.
Reference for actual use
① Propionate is generally added when it is mixed with noodles. Its concentration depends on the type of product and the storage time required for various baked foods. Propionate is used in baked goods, which not only preserves but also resists the formation of mycotoxins by mold.
②Calcium propionate has an inhibitory effect on mold and aerobic Bacillus which can cause the production of sticky filaments in bread, but not on yeast. Adding 0.3% to bread can extend 2 to 4 days without mold growth; adding 0.25% to moon cakes can extend 30 to 40 days without mold growth.
Calcium propionate is a safe and reliable mold inhibitor for food and feed approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
In starch and protein and oil-containing substances, it is effective against mold, aerobic spore-producing bacteria, gram-negative bacteria, aflatoxin, etc. It has unique anti-mold and antiseptic properties.
It is a new, safe, efficient and broad-spectrum antifungal agent for food, brewing, feed and traditional Chinese medicine preparations.